Re: Preferred Backup Method?

Ron Johnson on 04/12/07 22:22, wrote:

On 12/04/07 16:01, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
[snip]
less frequent burn to tiny CD-R to fit in the Bank's Safety Deposit Box.

Before I go away anywhere (i.e. out of town), I copy the most important
of the backup to a 4 GB USB stick.

This means that I have a separate directory called "essential_backup"
with a symlink in each user's home directory.  They are to place a
symlink of any critical data in that directory.  That directory is
tarred up (following the symlinks) very frequently indeed and propogated
to the other box immediatly.

The regular stuff is tarred up (tgz) and split to 650 MB size e.g.
backup.tgz.aa to fit on CD-Rs.

That's good for personal use (I do something similar, but send it
off to an external drive), but not adequate for a server.

If security of the backups is required (other than physical security of
the media), then I use openssl to encrypt it with an unencrypted README
file, with the commands used to encrypt and decrypt (minus the actual
password), included on each backup media.

How do you do that?  (I'd have uses gpg.)

So, to answer your question re software:  tar, gunzip, split, cat (to
rejoin splits), openssl, K3B, rsync, and mc.

faubackup

Advantage: will keep weekly, monthly, yearly backups, cropping the ones in-between so you end up with one per year, and then one per month last year, and then one per week last month etc.

Disadvantage: doesn't compress stuff. Well, I don't think it does. Didn't feel it was necessary after buying a Terabyte harddrive to backup to :) so I didn't look for the option.