Re: Syncable finance app?

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:15:56AM -0500, John Miller wrote:

> There are plenty of personal finance applications out there for Linux
> (GNUCash, gAcc, etc.), but with all of them, you must make entries on
> your PC.  When I eat out at a restaurant, I'd like to be able to enter
> the amount of the bill, plus a little note, in my Palm IIIxe (yes, I
> know--it's dated), which will then automatically update my check
> register.  I'd also like to be able to sync this information to my Linux
> desktop, adding/editing transactions as necessary.
>
> I've been using Checkbook, a freeware program for the Palm.  I can sync
> my info to my computer with pilot-link/jpilot/gnome-pilot, but I can't
> edit it directly or import the info into another program.  Is there any
> sync-aware checkbook/finance program out there?  Are there plugins for
> GNUCash or similar that will allow them to sync with a PDA?

I've rarely solved such problems with a kitchen sink approach (replacing
the palm program and the finance program with one big program that does
everything).  You have a program for you Palm that gets data onto your
box.  You have a cheque register.  You just need an app that links it
all.

First order of business is to sort out the file and record format of the
datafile from Checkbook that sync gets from the Palm and puts on the pc.
Then you need to find command-line tools that will do what you need.

What command can you issue from the command line that will enter data to
Checkbook?  What command can you issue from the command line that will
put data on your desktop?

Write a script that uses the commands appropriatly.  Use a scripting
language to do the logic processing.  Use whatever language you like
that will do it.  Personally, I'd use Python.

Doug.