Re: UPS

On Dec 3, 2007, at 3:16 AM, Tom Allison wrote:
So -- what's a working combination of UPS and software? What to avoid?

I've had good results with APC UPSs and Network UPS Tools (NUT).

APC has two model lines. Their BackUPS models give you basic functionality and a contact-closure interface for power failure and low battery alerts. Configuration is by DIP switches.

Their SmartUPS line adds scheduled self-tests, voltage buck/boost, and the ability to read line voltage, battery voltage, percent charge, and several other values through a serial interface. Configuration is through software.

For home use the BackUPS models are fine, but for important servers I prefer the SmartUPS models due to their self-test capabilities. With a BackUPS your first clue that the battery has worn out is usually when the power fails and the UPS drops the load.

People often discard these units when the batteries fail, after thee or four years. If there's a good computer surplus store in your area you might be able to pick up some units for almost nothing that just need new batteries. I've frequently bought surplus BackUPS units for $2 to $3 each and I have yet to get one that needed anything more than new batteries.