UPS

I'm in need of a massive hardware upgrade...

I have UPS's that don't work for more than a minute -- dead battery. But they are "dumb" boxes and want to replace them with smarter units rather then getting new batteries. And I know Debian is a slightly different OS in that it doesn't really "do" the vendor binaries. Is there something that is well supported and easily installed under Debian that I can use. Years ago I purchased a Belkin UPS and found out later one that the binaries don't work with all the UPS and linux combinations -- any one want to guess what side of that line I fell on?

So -- what's a working combination of UPS and software?  What to avoid?