Re: Mounting a USB Mass Storage Device

Ron Johnson wrote:

Since the "drive letter" of removable devices is subject to change,
I now use UUID values in /etc/fstab instead of /dev/sd??.  (Except
for /boot and /.)

# blkid /dev/sdXY
# vi /etc/fstab (Replace /dev/sdXY with UUID="<long string>")

Also, if you have hal installed, GNOME & KDE should automagically
handle removable devices for you.

UUIDs are helpful if you have a known set of devices you wish to use. I just let gnome handle the mounting (I think it uses hal to do it) and unmount it with pumount. Once I have disabled nautilus from opening a window whenever a removable device is mounted, the process becomes terminal friendly. Plugin, cd, do_stuff, pumount, without ever having to reach out for the mouse.