Re: LDAP - howto get linux to talk to exchange/AD

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:10:07 +0100, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> I agree - problem is DEFINITELY ldap authentication; forget about exim....
>
> my exchange server is setup to accept clear text, and anonymous OK (even
> though I'm not trying to be anon).
>
> here's the thing - I have no idea what is going on between ldapsearch, and
> my exchange server.

> ldap is definitely running - I can run custom queries, and ldap://queries
> thru my windows browser with success.
>
> the problem IS debian authenticating w/ the exchange server.

You need to authenticate to the LDAP tree using a username that exists
in Active Directory, I can't remember how but I did this a few years ago
for a squid proxy.

> Can someone tell me some way to diagnose just what is happening in this
> communication between ldapsearch & ldap server ???

Wireshark or any packet sniffer should be able to show what's being
transferred, it may also be worth installing the openldap client
utilities (ldap-utils under debian) and querying the database manually
from them.

> Or can someone point me / show me   how a structured communication to the
> ldap server would look like, so I can try sending it thru telnet - just to
> see if I can get it to work that way.... Then I can try & figure out what
> ldapsearch is sending...

http://www.mozilla.org/directory/standards.html may be useful but LDAP
isn't the easiest of protocols to grok manually.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve@patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter@jabber.earth.li