Re: increase space in /tmp

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 05:45:35AM -0500, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> was heard to say:
> Is it possible to increase the space available in /tmp without doing the
> backup/repartition/reinstall/restore dance?
>
> I'm trying to backup a dvd using k9copy.  It wants to have about 8 gig free in
> the /tmp partition, but when I set the system up, I gave /tmp much less than
> that.  k9copy wants to write to /tmp/kde-mark/k9copy* so I tried creating a
> link from /tmp/kde-mark to a partition with lots of space (while in single
> user mode since messing with /tmp when "X" is active can be dicey).  I made
> sure the permissions were correct, but when I restarted in normal mode, the
> system created and used a sub-directory under /tmp like
> this: /tmp/kde-mark6C5838b thereby circumventing my efforts.  Do I have to
> backup, repartition and restore or is there a better way?

  If k9copy reads an environment variable (usually TEMP or TMP) to find
the temporary directory, you could try setting that to somewhere that
has more space (e.g., ~/tmp).  Its documentation might say more about which
environment variables it respects.  If it's a GUI program, you could also
check its interactive configuration and see whether there's a setting
controlling where the temporary files go.

  Daniel