Re: Font problem with GTK in KDE

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:34:51 -0800, ispmarin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using KDE from debian lenny, and some GTK apps, like icedove. When
> I log on my session, the fonts from the GTK apps have the wrong size -
> they are all much bigger than I configured. I have to manually start
> gnome-control-center and use the Font Manager - as soon I click the
> Font Manager, all the fonts on GTK applications changes. I have to
> close the GTK apps and open it again to the fonts be in the correct
> size. I have installed gtk2-engines-qtpixmap and qtk-qt-engine.
>
> Any hints?

Check if X is correct about your screen dimensions and resolution by
running:

xdpyinfo | egrep 'dimens|resol'

Then run

echo "Xft.dpi: 96" | xrdb -merge

and restart icedove. (Replace "96" with your DPI value.)

If that fixes the font sizes then you can make it permanent by putting
the Xft.dpi line into your ~/.Xresources.

(On my KDE desktop I use neither gtk2-engines-qtpixmap nor
 gtk-qt-engine; the Xft.dpi setting seems to be enough to make the gtk
 applications render fonts properly. The Xft.dpi setting should also be
 honored by applications which are neither QT- nor GTK-based.)

          Florian   |