Re: increase space in /tmp

Mark Neidorff wrote:
Is it possible to increase the space available in /tmp without doing the backup/repartition/reinstall/restore dance?

I'm trying to backup a dvd using k9copy. It wants to have about 8 gig free in the /tmp partition, but when I set the system up, I gave /tmp much less than that. k9copy wants to write to /tmp/kde-mark/k9copy* so I tried creating a link from /tmp/kde-mark to a partition with lots of space (while in single user mode since messing with /tmp when "X" is active can be dicey). I made sure the permissions were correct, but when I restarted in normal mode, the system created and used a sub-directory under /tmp like this: /tmp/kde-mark6C5838b thereby circumventing my efforts. Do I have to backup, repartition and restore or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Mark

Unmount /tmp.

(You don't need single-user mode as long as there aren't any other users on the system, but you might want to get out of X as you mention.)

Then remount /tmp on your bigger partition (this assumes your bigger partition is empty). You can even make it a permanent change by changing /etc/fstab.

If your bigger partition is not empty, just unmount /tmp, then just do the symlink like you did above, but don't reboot or remount /tmp. The system should find /tmp just fine.

--
Kent