Re: LDAP - howto get linux to talk to exchange/AD

bobg.hahc@gmail.com <bobg.hahc@gmail.com>:
>  On Nov 28, 8:40 pm, "s. keeling" <keel...@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > Bob Goldberg <bobg.h...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > >  at the end of the day, this is what I want: my
> > >  debian(etch)/exim machine to accept all internet Email to my
> > >  domain, ignore all else, and relay on to my exchange5.5
> > >  server. This means I want exim to validate email recipients
> > >  thruldaplookups.
> >
> > Have you googled "exim ldap"?  You appear to be reinventing the
> [snip]
>  The closest thing to ANY success i've had is with ldapsearch as
>  follows:
>  ldapsearch -h exchange.domain.com -D
>  "CN=exim,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com" -x -w "password" -b
>  "CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com" "(memberOf=CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com)"
>
>  this command at least seems to communicate w/ the exchange server,
>  and tells me "invalid credentials".  I can only ASSUME that means a
>  problem w/ the user/password, but I KNOW that info IS valid.

Then it's a problem communicating those credentials.  One's using md5
hashes and the other's expecting crypt/PAM/Kerberos?!?/...

>  I don't have a clue how to start figuring out what's wrong with
>  credentials I KNOW are good.

Then it's not the credentials, it's how they're being communicated
from one process to the other.  I'd ignore exim on this for now.  I'd
say your problem's ldap.  Sort it out and exim should fall into line.
Yes, ldap can be bloody frustrating depending on the existing LAN
software.

>  is debian REALLY talking to my exchange server? have no clue...  it
>  would help if I could telnet to my exchange server & submit a query
>  & see it work... but no one can even tell me if this can be
>  done!?!?

What?  Is the server accepting telnet connections?  I don't do
Windows, but surely it has some sort of telnetd/sshd by now?