LDAP - howto get linux to talk to exchange/AD

at the end of the day, this is what I want: my debian(etch)/exim machine to accept all internet Email to my domain, ignore all else, and relay on to my exchange 5.5 server. This means I want exim to validate email recipients thru ldap lookups.

seems like a simple enough task, even one that many people have probably done. Can I find any examples of an exim config file that demonstrates this? NO! doc's suck. So I have no idea if my router config is even close or not. I don't think I need an acl, but i'm not sure. such a simple task, you'd think there'd already be a sample config file out there somewhere....

Having said that, I'm trying to figure out why my ldap lookup's aren't working, so that leads me down a nasty diagnostic path.

1) can you do ldap queries using telnet? I seem to connect to my server fine, but every query I insert, returns nothing.

2) i'm trying to do ldap lookups using ldapsearch, and I'm not having any luck at all, and i'm getting useless error messages.

3) ldap is definitely running on exchange, because an ldap://server/query entry in a browser, brings up a dialog box that will successfully search using a custom ldap string, and it all works.

4) if I can't do a simply query using ldapsearch, how in the ---- am i ever going to get exim setup correctly.... what does a valid ldapsearch command look like anyway??

5) if I can't use telnet to try to diagnose what's going on - where should I start?

TIA - Bob