LDAP - howto get linux to talk to exchange/AD

Apologies for any duplicate posts.... I'm reading this thread on google (groups), and I apparently can't reply/post from there....

reply to s.:
hi s.

yes, I have...(google searches) but none of my searches has revealed any information that actually works.

All I can get out of exim is "Unrouteable address". no matter what I've tried.
The ppt presentation you referred to looked like it had potential, but not 1 single LDAP query in that ppt seemed to work correctly on my windows browser. I figured if the information in there, which DID look fairly straightforward, doesn't work right, then how can I trust anything that follows.?

I certainly accept the notion that the problem is ME. But I can't seem to find a place to start diagnosing what I'm doing wrong... I can't seem to get even the simplest of things to work correctly when it comes to using exim w/ ldap.

I consider myself expert, when it comes to most things *nix. But working with ldap has been the most frustrating experience i've had in a long time.

The closest thing to ANY success i've had is with ldapsearch as follows:
ldapsearch -h exchange.domain.com -D "CN=exim,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com" -x -w "password" -b
"CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com" "(memberOf=CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com)"

this command at least seems to communicate w/ the exchange server, and tells me "invalid credentials".
I can only ASSUME that means a problem w/ the user/password, but I KNOW that info IS valid.

I don't have a clue how to start figuring out what's wrong with credentials I KNOW are good.
is debian REALLY talking to my exchange server? have no clue...
it would help if I could telnet to my exchange server & submit a query & see it work... but no one can
even tell me IF this can be done!?!?