Re: removing kde

lostson wrote:
Hello All I have install debian stable with kde and am wanting to remove kde completely and install gnome. Is this possible ? and if so how ? I have been googling trying to find a way with no luck thanks.

 LostSon

If you have plenty of drive space, don't bother uninstalling KDE; just install Gnome alongside. Then you can either specify/configure your system to start one or the other, or if you're using the graphical login manager of either KDE or Gnome (most likely), you can choose from that login screen which Desktop Environment (DE) to fire up. You can also install other WMs (Window Managers)/environments, and start those up from the KDE or Gnome login screen.

To install Gnome, just "aptitude install gnome".

If you really want to uninstall KDE, I believe "kde" is a metapackage; if your system was installed with aptitude rather than apt-get, you should be able to simply run "aptitude remove kde". If it was installed with apt-get, it'll be a bit more painful, and you'll have to manually uninstall the KDE-related stuff, like "apt-get --purge remove kde konqueror koffice ... <blah blah blah> kthis kthat kthe_other_thing <yada yada yada>". As mentioned, just leave KDE on your system if you have the drive space (maybe 500MB? - very rough guesstimate).

If you leave KDE on the system and install Gnome, you'll probably be asked with login manager (GDM (Gnome's) or KDM (KDE's)) you want to use; they're both very similar; it's just a personal preference, so pick one. If you decide later to use the other, try "dpkg-reconfigure gdm|kdm" (where "gdm|kdm" is either gdm or kdm, depending on which one is NOT the current default).

It's been a while, so the details I've presented may be slightly off, but that's the general idea.

If you want to try another WM, you can do something like "aptitude install icewm" or "aptitude install xfce" or "aptitude install metacity twm fvwm <whatever>".

--
Kent