Re: how to build from _modified_ source package

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Daniel B. wrote:

Are there any instructions for proceeding from having downloaded
the source package files and _not_ having unpacked things?

(I think my current state is as if I had done

  apt-get source --download-only xfree86

(I didn't actually do --download-only, but from cleaning up after
trying a couple things I think that's the state I'm in.))

Just run "apt-get source xfree86" in the directory where you've
downloaded the existing files. apt-get will not download them again if
it does not need to,

I just ran "apt-get source xfree86" and it deleted
xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz and started downloading it again.
All 59 megabytes of it.  Over a slow connection in my case.

Good thing I suspected you didn't know what you're talking about and
made a backup.

> and will unpack the source files. You can then edit
the source and build it as described in other messages in this thread.

When I started building (before), I got messages about extracting the
source.

Which build commands re-extract the source files from the source
archive before building and which build from the possibly modified
source (without re-extracting)?  Where's the documentation?

Daniel
--
Daniel B.
dsb@smart.net