Re: Postfix and SASL authentication (Solved)

On 26/11/07 10:44:50, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> Barry Samuels wrote:
> > I have tried twice before to set up SASL authentication for Postfix
> > and failed to get it working both times. I am now trying a third
> > time.
> >
> > I have three remote mail servers to which I can send outgoing mail.
> > I use Balsa as a mail client and, as a test, I set the value of the
> > Remote Server, in the Balsa settings, to each of the three mail
> > servers in turn together with the appropriate values for username
> > and password.
> > I sent an email using each setting and they all arrived. This shows
> > that my username/password combinations are correct for each of the
> > remote servers.

Many thanks to those who replied.

I don't know what I did wrong this time BUT it all works. :-))  Whoo
Hoo!

One thing I've discovered is that usernames that work in Balsa don't
necessarily work with SASL. I had to change some slightly to get it to
work.

Another thing is that one of my remote mail servers is GMail and I've
seen a number of Howtos for GMail all of which involve what seems to be
a complex procedure for creating a certificate but I saw one which said
just to put the following in postfix/main.cf:

# For servers (e.g. GMail) that need SSL support
smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
smtp_tls_security_level = may

That's all I've done (I did create the tls_policy file) and it works
apparently without this certificate thingy.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk