K3b did not find a suitable writer

Greetings,

I'm trying to burn an audio CD using K3b on Etch. I get the following message
when I click "Burn"

K3b did not find a suitable writer. You will only be able to create an image.

The same thing happens if I try to burn as either an audio or a data project,
and with any type of file. I can go ahead and burn as a .iso image.

I've looked around on the web and found several references to this problem
including runnig K3b as root and changing the drive permissions under /dev.
I've done both of those to no avail. I've checked that I'm in the cdrom group
and that's ok also.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps I should use a different package for burning?

Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.22-2-amd64
K3b 0.12.17

Thanks,

Rob Wright