Re: Postfix and SASL authentication (Solved)

Barry Samuels wrote:
[snip]
Another thing is that one of my remote mail servers is GMail and I've seen a number of Howtos for GMail all of which involve what seems to be a complex procedure for creating a certificate
Those how tos are usually for using fetchmail to get mail from gmail..

but I saw one which said just to put the following in postfix/main.cf:

# For servers (e.g. GMail) that need SSL support
smtp_tls_policy_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/tls_policy
smtp_tls_security_level = may

That's all I've done (I did create the tls_policy file) and it works apparently without this certificate thingy.
The policy maps has allows you to create per site tls policy while tls security level is global setting so mixing both is not a good idea.

BTW, gmail has one annoying relay setting where regardless of the email address you have as the envelope sender, when relaying it'll change the envelope sender to the smtp authenticated sender. So if you have several envelope senders but use only one to authenticate, all your mail will be sent with that one envelope sender.

To overcome this you have to use the smtp_sender_dependent_authentication setting and use the smtp_sasl_password_maps and enter all the gmail addresses in the map.

See : http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_password_maps
for more info.

Mihira.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.