wpa, passphrase, and keys

I was trying to install wpa on a Dell inspiron 6000 and connect to a Linksys
WRT55AG and am now confused.  I first updated the firmware on the router and
now have ´wpa personal´ as an option.  Second, enabled the wireless security,
selected wpa personal, and entered a passphrase.  Third, ran wpa_passphrase
on the box, giving the essid and same passphrase as on the router.  Fourth,
edited interfacs and wpa_supplicant.conf with the appropriate information;
using key supplied by wpa_passphrase.  Tried ifup eth1 and the command just
hung.