Re: no x version

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:43:33PM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:47:52PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > If you specifically don't want any X, I suggest strongly that you use
> > aptitude interactively so that you can go back and forth if you choose
> > something that wants to drag in X.
>
> Nothing against doing it that way (interactively), but when running
> aptitude or apt-get on the command line you also get a very complete list
> of what actions will be taken, and can cancel the install and try again.
> To make sure that it (apt-get or aptitude) isn't going to go ahead and do
> the install/remove/whatever anyway, I usually use the -s (or -simulate)
> option before running the "live" command.

aptitude always shows a nice preview (coloured) where you can see what
packages are pulled in as depends/recommends and by what package. You
also get to look at the suggests and chose some to install. IMO this
beats the CLI anytime.

> I never have understood the reasons (haven't checked very hard), but it
> seems like apt-get normally gives an "are you sure?" prompt before doing
> the action, but sometimes it just goes ahead and does it.  Perhaps the
> no-prompt behavior is automatic if there aren't many/any dependencies
> to be hauled in or removed.  I don't have enough time on aptitude to
> know whether it does the same.

AFAIR it will not ask if you only install one package.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)