Re: help exporting files from guest to host in QEMU....

Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Dear Debianists,
>
> 	I have a few questions about QEMU.  I posted a query a while back about loading cdrom image files into Windows 98 (guest) running under QEMU with Debian Etch r1 (AMD64) as the underlying OS.
>
> I followed the helpful recipes and I loaded some software on to Windows 98 and was happy with the result.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> There is one thing that I am not so sure about however.
>
> How are you supposed to export files out of the Windows 98 guest environment in to the Linux file tree?
>
> If you were to copy the file to a “cdrom” in the guest environment would that end up producing an iso file in the Linux environment?
>
> Or is there a simpler method to get files out of the guest environment to the host one?
>
> There are ways to write files from the guest environment to the Linux disk but there is a warning about data corruption if you aren't careful.
>
> I am looking for a relatively safe and simple way to get files created with software in the guest environment into the host area.
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill

> Feel like a local wherever you go.
> http://www.backofmyhand.com

Not sure exactly how QEMU works - haven't had time, but under a VMware - XP setup I just ran samba on debian,
shared a path and went over to windows to use the share under network neighborhood. Then you can copy files
back and forth very easily.  I haven't had any trouble with this setup yet.

HTH,

Scott Lair