Re: [debian-users] minicom or ISP? - No urgency - answer if you have time.

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:08:11PM -0700, Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
When dialing up my ISP in an interactive mode providing user name and password I get a third prompt with the prompt message "AiiNET". So now I get 3 prompts: "user name", "password", and "AiiNET" where before I just got the 2 prompts "user name" and "password". The ISP would not help saying that they don't support Linux. The ISP has a monopoly out here is rural Alberta, Canada. Since there are some very experienced people on the list maybe someone has run into this third prompt. As I said, it is a relatively new prompt which does not always occur (and I have a somewhat clumsy work-around). Has anyone else run into this situation where the "AiiNET" prompt occurs during manual dial up? In the following paragraph I provide more detail.

I've never seen an "AiiNET" prompt.  What is the required response?

I use a package called "minicom" on a Linux machine running Slackware which is my lan gateway machine to the Internet via dial up to my ISP. I don't think "minicom" is a debian package (but it may be by some other name)..

Minicom is a normal debian package.

I am gradually migrating my lan Linux machines over to Debian but still have to maintain this Slackware unit until I can get a fast Internet connection and the switch or router will head end everything.

Why?  What can Slackware do that Debian can't?  You don't need a fast
internect connetion to run Debian.

I am not sure if the question is about minicom or about the ISP.  When
the dial up connection is lost minicom is not evoked and so Linux
brings up the connection automatically.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

Initially using minicom basically sets up the dial up modem and
thereafter all interaction with the ISP is automatic. So when it is
automatic I don't really know the details of the interaction.

You should only need to use minicom to set up a modem once ever (unless
you need to reprogram it again later).  You should be able to set up
pppconfig to issue whatever connection strings you need.

Doug.

You said: "
I've never seen an "AiiNET" prompt.  What is the required response?'
I wish I knew -- I tried all  kinds of responses!

You also said: "You don't need a fast internet connection to run Debian" which is true. I was only commenting that the Slackware Linux machine won't be needed once I get a fast Internet connection. At that time hopefully I will get a static IP address and the router or switch will control all internet connections going into and out of the lan.

You also indicated that Minicom is a Debian package. That's nice to know. Also, you mentioned that "You should be able to set up pppconfig to issue whatever connection strings you need". I think pppconfig is working okay. But probably I could pass pppconfig the string Minicom uses to condition the dial up modem if I knew how to set it up in pppconfig.

Finally:
> I am not sure if the question is about minicom or about the ISP.  When
> the dial up connection is lost minicom is not evoked and so Linux
> brings up the connection automatically.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

What I was trying to say is that I am not sure where the "AiiNET" prompt is coming from.  Is it coming from the ISP or is it being manufactured by Minicom as some respone.  I think the "AiiNET" prompt is coming from the ISP just as the "user" and "password" prompts are coming the the ISP.  If that were not the case then there would have been by now many Debian Minicom users knowledgeable  regarding the prompt.

Have a nice day Doug and Thanks for your input -- Ted