[debian-users] minicom or ISP? - No urgency - answer if you have time.

This question is informational and there is no urgency.

When dialing up my ISP in an interactive mode providing user name and password I get a third prompt with the prompt message "AiiNET". So now I get 3 prompts: "user name", "password", and "AiiNET" where before I just got the 2 prompts "user name" and "password". The ISP would not help saying that they don't support Linux. The ISP has a monopoly out here is rural Alberta, Canada. Since there are some very experienced people on the list maybe someone has run into this third prompt. As I said, it is a relatively new prompt which does not always occur (and I have a somewhat clumsy work-around). Has anyone else run into this situation where the "AiiNET" prompt occurs during manual dial up? In the following paragraph I provide more detail.

I use a package called "minicom" on a Linux machine running Slackware which is my lan gateway machine to the Internet via dial up to my ISP. I don't think "minicom" is a debian package (but it may be by some other name).. I am gradually migrating my lan Linux machines over to Debian but still have to maintain this Slackware unit until I can get a fast Internet connection and the switch or router will head end everything. I am not sure if the question is about minicom or about the ISP. When the dial up connection is lost minicom is not evoked and so Linux brings up the connection automatically. Initially using minicom basically sets up the dial up modem and thereafter all interaction with the ISP is automatic. So when it is automatic I don't really know the details of the interaction.

Thanks, Ted Hilts