Re: problems with eps from grace

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:52:10 -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 04:08 +0000, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:48:23 -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am using etch and grace for plotting. With the version of grace in
> > > etch, I am having problems when I save my graphs in eps format. Other
> > > applications doesn't recognize this eps: Latex (texlive) and oo impress
> > > are two examples. This two programas does recognize eps files from other
> > > applications. Does anyone know about a fix or where can I find another
> > > version of grace?
> >
> > What is the output of
> >
> > file file_produced_from_grace.eps
> >
> > Can you see your eps file using a eps viewer like gv without any problem?
> Yes! I can see the eps file with gv, evince and acroread. But in Latex,
> the epsfig package doesn't recognize the figure, and doesn't scale it.
> And oo impress give the "unknown file format" message when I try to
> include the file in a presentation. The problem is really annoying,
> mostly with Latex, because I use Latex in work...

If gv can display the problematic EPS file then maybe ghostscript can
"distil" it into something that is usable by latex and OOo:

eps2eps old.eps new.eps

Sometimes I find that the best result (i.e. smallest file size while
preserving high print quality) can be achieved by going to pdf and back:

pstopdf old.eps
pdftops -eps old.pdf new.eps

(Eps2eps is part of ghostscript itself; I use pstopdf from package "context" and
 pdftops from "poppler-utils".)

          Florian   |