Re: printing a scanned document

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:13:05AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:40:57 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> said:
>
> > Hi, I was sent a scanned document, it was a .jpeg file.  So I
> > downloaded the .jpeg and used display to view it.  Then I printed it,
> > but it was about 1/2 the size of a sheet of paper and hard to read.
>
> > So I used display to resize it 150% and sharpen the image.  That
> > worked OK *viewing* it but it *prints* still the same small image.
> > How do I make it print a larger image that is sharpened?
>
>         Well, how about using convert?
>  convert -resize geometry   old.png tmp.png
>  convert -sharpen geometry  tmp.png new.png
>
>         Look at the documentation online; convert has a lot of options
>  which could be useful.

imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people can
live without it. Compare the ease of resizing a batch of images and
producing thumbnails using convert versus the same job in any of the
clicky gui programs. Simply amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love the
Gimp, but you can't beat convert for so many things. :)