Re: NVIDIA card & lenny-SOLVED

On Nov 14, 2007 9:37 AM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> > > no, black screen and I have to alt-F1 for text login.
> > ok, one last time I decided to totally remove the xorg.conf file, and rerun
> > the NVIDIA...run
> > now I have a much more vanilla xorg.conf, and NVIDIA loaded.
> > here is your error output:
> > ~$ egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> > (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
> > (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid)
> > in "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType".
> > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
> > (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
> > (WW) NVIDIA(0):
> > (WW) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
> > (WW) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
> > (WW) NVIDIA(0):
> > ----------------
> > and mty current xorg.conf:
> > # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> > # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Wed Sep 12 14:29:35
> > PDT 2007
>
> [...]
>
> > Section "Device"
> >     Identifier     "Device0"
> >     Driver         "nvidia"
> >     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> >     Identifier     "Screen0"
> >     Device         "Device0"
> >     Monitor        "Monitor0"
> >     DefaultDepth    24
> >     SubSection     "Display"
> >         Depth       24
>
> You can add a line here to specify resolution(s), e.g:
>
>           Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768"
>
> This should get rid of the "no modes requested" message.
>
> >     EndSubSection
> > ---------------
> > note it now doesn't recognize my Dell monitor or the model of the NVIDIA
> > card..
> > but it does load the NVIDIA driver.. go figure.
>
> I would re-run (as root):
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> and you will get a better configuration file.

I am not entirely sure it would be better. The Xorg auto-detection has
improved tremendously lately. The contents needed in xorg.conf
have changed a lot and I don't think the Debian setup code has been
fully updated to reflect that. I read a blog post or something recently,
where someone was talking about wanting to dropping the dpkg X
config code, because it was old and no longer as good as the X
native code. However, I don't remember if the person suggesting that
was a Debian X dev or an Ubuntu X dev or an upstream X dev (if it
wasn't a DD, a DD might have different opinions than the other two).

UPDATE: from debian bug 442316:
  David Nusinow said:
  > Generating xorg.conf sucks though and we're trying to get away
  > from that as much as is sensible.

Anyway, the last time I got a dpkg-generated xorg.conf, I ended up
changing a lot, particularly taking stuff out, and it ended up working
as well or better.

You could just manually enter the info for VendorName, etc. (although
it is not needed) and you can definitely remove the line for loading the
type1 module.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers