Re: need help with BIND9

On 11/14/2007 02:53 AM, lists@pgrworld.com wrote:
> I need help setting up nameservers for my own domain.  The IPs and
> domains have been changed for privacy ;-)

..which makes it difficult to properly troubleshoot.

> $TTL 1h
> @ SOA ns1.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
>  2007110805; Serial (date + two digit serial)
>  10800 ; Refresh (3 hours)
>  3600 ; Retry (1 hour)
>  86400 ; Expire (1 day)
>  60 ) ; Default TTL 1 min
>  NS ns1.mydomain.com.
>  MX mail.mydomain.com.
>  A 1.1.1.1
>
>     ns1    A    1.1.1.1
>     mail    A    1.1.1.1
>     www    A    1.1.1.1
>
> What could be the problem?

If you are going to host authoritative DNS for mydomain.com. on a name
server host under the same domain, for example ns1.mydomain.com., then
you need to seed the process of finding your authoritative name server
via a glue A record at your domain registrar - this A record for
ns1.mydomain.com. gets pushed up to the com. TLD servers, so that
recursive resolvers around the Internet can find the correct name server
to ask, "where is mydomain.com.".

--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler