Re: Request information

On Nov 13, 2007 1:21 PM,  <riccardo.bertarelli@borgoconsul.it> wrote:
> I want to leave windows and start with linux so I need some assistance.
> Which Intel mother board I can use (last models) and which cpu? I own
> a new matrox millenium p650 pci express graphic card: is that supported?

All x86 CPUs work fine with linux. All motherboards generally work fine,
the only problems might be in the realm of on-board ethernet or video,
but even those are generally ok now. Intel is very supportive of open
source, so any modern Intel MB should be well supported.

Looking at google for info on the Matrox, it looks like the support is
not that good. You can use the very limited, generic vesa driver or
Matrox's  binary (proprietary, non-opensource) driver. Binary drivers
tend to be somewhat more troublesome, but it may be worth it
given the investment in a new p650.

Also, be sure to consider the compatibility of any other peripherals
you might have (printer, scanner, etc).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers