Re: NVIDIA card & lenny

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 14:44:33 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

[...]

> > > it seems envy isn't supported yet in lenny, and I can't get the
> > > NVIDIA*.run to work. it complained about GCC versions ( I don't remember
> > > the exact text).

[...]

> > > I have this card:
> > >  "nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 LE"
> -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
> -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
> -> The CC version check failed:
>
>    The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match
> the current compiler (gcc 4.2).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects
> kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that
> of the compiler used to build the running kernel.
>  If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check,
> select "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort
> install   ation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler
> used to compile your kernel, and restart installation.  Abort now? (Answer:
> No)
>  NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
>    make CC=cc  KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /usr/src/linux
> SUBDIRS=/tmp/selfgz4968/NVIDI
>    A-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1/usr/src/nv modules
>    test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
> \
>         echo;                                                           \
>         echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";               \
>         echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf
> are missing.";      \
>         echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to
> fix it
> -> Kernel module compilation complete.
> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
>        frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
>        improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that
> differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
> rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
> obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).
>  Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
>        messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
>        more information.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
>    -1 Invalid module format
> ----------------------------------
> is that enough info?

Yes, it is. Install the gcc-4.1 package if it is not on your system
already. Then run

export CC=gcc-4.1

right before you try the installer again. That should allow it to
compile the module and insert it into the kernel. If there are other
difficulties post the new error messages. I think you might still be
missing the linux-headers-* package for your new kernel.

If the installer finishes without errors and nevertheless your X will
not start then we need to see the output of

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

          Florian   |