Re: NVIDIA card & lenny

On Tue November 13 2007, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > it seems envy isn't supported yet in lenny, and I can't get the
> > NVIDIA*.run to work. it complained about GCC versions ( I don't remember
> > the exact text).
>
> We need to see the exact text; there is no point in wasting our time
> guessing. Just copy the relevant part of the installer log.
>
> > I have this card:
> >  "nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 LE"
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> The CC version check failed:

   The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match
the current compiler (gcc 4.2).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects
kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that
of the compiler used to build the running kernel.
 If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check,
select "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort
install   ation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler
used to compile your kernel, and restart installation.  Abort now? (Answer:
No)
 NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
   make CC=cc  KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /usr/src/linux
SUBDIRS=/tmp/selfgz4968/NVIDI
   A-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1/usr/src/nv modules
   test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
\
        echo;                                                           \
        echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";               \
        echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf
are missing.";      \
        echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to
fix it
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
       frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
       improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that
differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).
 Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
       messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
       more information.
-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
   -1 Invalid module format
is that enough info?

--
Paul Cartwright