Re: how to read http mails in mutt mail reader (vim)?

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <9n5Wq-3Sb-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, s. keeling wrote:
> hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
>>
>>  I've just installed mutt in Debian, one problem is there are some
>>  mails from news lists with HTTP format, it was fine when I use Mozilla
>>  mail reader, but with mutt and vim, I could not read the HTTP format
>>  mails. One solution I can think of is to use lynx, but I don't know
>>  how to config mutt with lynx. How do you handle this issue?
>
> mutt needs to be trained.  You could tell it to use urlview via macro,
> but I see no need for it.  Install w3m, and it'll do everything you
> need.
>
> In your ~/.mailcap, add:
>
>   multipart/alternative ;  /usr/bin/w3m -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html
>   multipart/related     ;  /usr/bin/w3m -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html
>   text/html             ;  /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html -dump %s ; copiousoutput
>
> then tell mutt this (~/.muttrc):
>
>   macro index \cB |'w3m -m -cookie'\n 'call w3m to extract URLs out of a message'
>   macro pager \cB |'w3m -m -cookie'\n 'call w3m to extract URLs out of a message'

Well that's awfully complicated.  Why not just pipe the message
into metamail?  It'll bust a multipart message into parts and
run whatever it needs on each part.  In mailx, "pi metamail"
In Mutt, perhaps "| metamail"
Etch came with an /etc/mailcap that was pretty sensible, didn't
need any editing.  I went back and forth with whether I wanted
to display cruft-o-messages with Iceape or Lynx.  The default
was Lynx.

Cameron