sound-juicer and rhythmbox can't see CD-ROM, but nautilus, gnome-cd and totem can

As the subject says, I can mount data CDs, play DVDs with totem, and
play audio CDs with gnome-cd. However, I don't get the usual CD icon in
rhythmbox when an audio CD is inserted, and sound-juicer produces a "No
CD-ROM drives found--Sound Juicer could not find any CD-ROM drives to
read" message and exits.

Now, both rhythmbox and sound-juicer played CDs just fine a week ago
before my disk crashed and I reinstalled lenny from scratch.

Any thoughts on diagnosing this problem?

ThinkPad T40p, lenny.