Re: sound-juicer and rhythmbox can't see CD-ROM, but nautilus, gnome-cd and totem can [SOLVED]

Bill Wohler <wohler@olgas.newt.com> wrote:

> As the subject says, I can mount data CDs, play DVDs with totem, and
> play audio CDs with gnome-cd. However, I don't get the usual CD icon in
> rhythmbox when an audio CD is inserted, and sound-juicer produces a "No
> CD-ROM drives found--Sound Juicer could not find any CD-ROM drives to
> read" message and exits.
>
> Now, both rhythmbox and sound-juicer played CDs just fine a week ago
> before my disk crashed and I reinstalled lenny from scratch.
>
> Any thoughts on diagnosing this problem?

Rebooting set things right.

I still don't understand why things got wedged as described, nor why
rebooting cleared it up. Who knows, maybe it was just logging out and
back in again.

Here's another observation: I'm now seeing the Audio Disc icon on the
desktop when the audio CD is inserted. I don't recall seeing that before.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on this, I'd still be interested to
hear them.