Re: dhcp-client, dhcp3-client and pump

gusti <ggh.develop@gmail.com>:

>   I have all the packages up-to-date, I'm using official kernel 2.6.18
>  for debian stable. I already tried 'dhclient' from the packages
>  'dhcp-client' and 'dhcp3-client' and 'pump' from the package 'pump' and
>  still after few minutes my network die and I must call again to 'pump'
>  or 'dhclient'.
>
>  The version of my packages are after the security update 'DSA-1388-1
>  dhcp -- buffer overflow.
>  dhcp3-client, v 3.0.4-13
>  dhcp3-client, v 2.0pl5-19.5etch2
>  pump, v 0.8.24-2

Check your logs for relevant messages.  /var/log/messages is usually a
good place to start (but not this time).  Depending on which service
level your client logs, /etc/syslog.conf should tell you where dhcp's
logging data are going.  On my Etch box, they go to daemon.log and
syslog.  This may help (not exhaustive, just useful):

heretic [root] /root_ egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/syslog.conf | egrep 'daemon|syslog'
*.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
daemon.*                        -/var/log/daemon.log
        cron,daemon.none;\
daemon.*;mail.*;\

so in there somewhere is their log level.  man syslog.conf

When I used pump on Debian, I found it exceptionally chatty.  It
filled /var one day.  This may since have changed/been fixed; dunno.
It may even be Debian specific default config.  I didn't notice the
problem in a recent Zenwalk install.  pump worked great there.

I use dhcp3 on Etch atm.  No probs.  Version: 3.0.4-13