Re: any pages listing text mode resolutions of video cards?

On Nov 12, 2007 7:24 AM, Daniel B. <dsb@smart.net> wrote:
> Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On Nov 11, 2007 7:46 PM, Daniel B. <dsb@smart.net> wrote:
> >> I've been having trouble finding out the text-mode resolutions of
> >> video cards.  Does anyone know of a good compilation of that
> >> information?
> >
> > Here is a list of modes:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers
> >
> > I think any card that supports VESA probably has to support
> > 1280x1024 and 24 bits (see the table higher up on that page)
>
> Actually, I was talking about text-mode resolutions (as I wrote
> above), not graphics-mode resolutions.

Ok, I found it in that Wikipedia article:

Modes 264-268 (vesa's numbers, not the kernel's) are text modes.
264 (0108h) is 80x60, 265 (0109h) is 132x25
266 (010Ah) is 132x43, 267 (010Bh) is 132x50
268 (010Ch) is 132x60.

> >> Relatedly, are they any good tutorials on switching from using
> >> hardware text-mode for non-X virtual consoles to using ... um ...
> >> whatever the name is of the feature of having textual virtual
> >> consoles generated using hardware graphics mode?
> >
> > Framebuffer? I am not sure I understand what you are asking,
> > but I think you want your VTs to use higher resolutions and be
> > graphics capable
>
> Yes, in my virtual consoles I want to see text in a higher
> resolution that the video card can provide in hardware text mode.
>
>  > e.g. fbi http://packages.debian.org/etch/fbi
>
> Thanks.
>

> > If that is what you mean, you need to edit your grub menu.lst
> > file and add to the kernel line a reference like vga=791
>
> Is that number (791) a mode specific to frame buffers, or was it
> just an example?

Well, I use the framebuffer @ 791. I have never heard of the
vga=10 that you mentioned. All the modes I have seen are over 700.
I guess the lower ones are text modes (not sure how they relate
to vesa's numbers).

The Debian kernels have the framebuffer drivers compiled in, so
I would just try vga=791 and see if it gives you what you want.

You also mentioned speed. I don't know how fast your computer
is, but I have used 791 on a P3 @ 700 MHz and it was fine.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers