Re: any pages listing text mode resolutions of video cards?

Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Nov 11, 2007 7:46 PM, Daniel B. <dsb@smart.net> wrote:
I've been having trouble finding out the text-mode resolutions of
video cards.  Does anyone know of a good compilation of that
information?

Here is a list of modes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

I think any card that supports VESA probably has to support
1280x1024 and 24 bits (see the table higher up on that page)

Actually, I was talking about text-mode resolutions (as I wrote
above), not graphics-mode resolutions.

Relatedly, are they any good tutorials on switching from using
hardware text-mode for non-X virtual consoles to using ... um ...
whatever the name is of the feature of having textual virtual
consoles generated using hardware graphics mode?

Framebuffer? I am not sure I understand what you are asking,
but I think you want your VTs to use higher resolutions and be
graphics capable

Yes, in my virtual consoles I want to see text in a higher
resolution that the video card can provide in hardware text mode.

> e.g. fbi http://packages.debian.org/etch/fbi

Thanks.

If that is what you mean, you need to edit your grub menu.lst
file and add to the kernel line a reference like vga=791

Is that number (791) a mode specific to frame buffers, or was it
just an example?

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FrameBuffer

Thanks.

Daniel