Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 01:09:38PM -0700, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 21:38 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 2007 8:34 PM, Robert Jerrard <rjerrard@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote:
> > > evince, xpdf
> >
> > How come this is? What's the limitations of each?
>
> Evince is nice in that it remembers what slide you stopped at last time
> but it was a bit buggy in earlier versions, seems to work nicely now.
>
> Xpdf was the one I used when evince was buggy.
>
> I haven't seen any real limitations for either in my limited use of
> them.

I didn't notice that gnome apps had stopped being buggy.  Every time I
figure I'll try one (such as Evince) I always hit some bug.

I use Kpdf most of the time but xpdf has a smaller footprint (both
memory and disk space requirements).  I have Kpdf on my main Athlon box
and xpdf on my PII.  I can view a pdf directly on the PII with xpdf or I
can ssh -X into my athlon box and view it with Kpdf if I set Kpdf for
poor performance.  Its stores rendered pages in the Xorg memory
footprint on the PII.  If I'm really tight for memory, I'll run xpdf on
the Athlon and it will keep rendered pages on the Athlon.

Doug.