Re: Telnet/SSH Terminal Help

s. keeling wrote:
Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com>:
 s. keeling wrote:
Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com>:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 06:03:01AM -0700, Jeff Grossman wrote:
If I do an 'export LC_ALL=C' then term=linux and term=screen appear to
act the same.  The display is much better but still not perfect.  I
have
updated a new picture at http://www.stikman.com/mcdisplay1.jpg.
What about TERM=screen ?
 Where should I put the 'export LC_ALL=C' command so it is always done for
 each login and for each user?  The /etc/bash.bashrc file?
btw, defining LC_ALL=C is heavy-handed overkill.  Better would be
LANG.  I also set LC_COLLATE=C.  Here's what I end up with:

(0) heretic /home/keeling_ locale
LANG=en_US.iso885915
LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
Well, honestly, I have no idea what any of those settings do. I just want mc and aptitude to properly draw lines. Without the LC_ALL line the lines are not drawn correctly. What setting should I use to fix the

Your problem isn't related to locale.  I suspect it's your terminal
emulation that's buggered.  Are you using xterm, rxvt, or one of the
clueless children (kterm/gnome-terminal)?

I am using TERM=linux. Before I did LC_ALL=C none of the lines displayed correctly when using mc. Since I have done LC_ALL=C all of the lines are displaying correctly except for the scroll lines on the right hand side of the screen.

Jeff