Re: Deletion of files from usb-key

Haines Brown wrote:
Kiran,

Thanks for the help. I should emphazie that my promblem is not
mounting the usb-key drive, but only deleting the files on it. I can
copy those files, but not delete or modify them. However, if I add a
test file, I can readily delete it.

I suspect I damanged the file system by removing the usb-key from a
laptop running Windows without first "stopping" it  (I know nothing of
Windows).
You suggested first:

	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdd bs=512 count=1
	1+0 records in
	1+0 records out
	512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.00394563 seconds, 130 kB/s

This didn't get rid of the files.

1. Did you unmount the flash drive before you did dd?
2. Verify that your flash drive is indeed /dev/sdd.

You suggested second:

	# mkdosfs -I -v /dev/sdd
	mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
	/dev/sdd has 16 heads and 62 sectors per track,
	logical sector size is 512,
	using 0xf8 media descriptor, with 1000944 sectors;
	file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 16 sectors per cluster.
	FAT size is 245 sectors, and provides 62526 clusters.
	Root directory contains 512 slots.
	Volume ID is 47326c96, no volume label.

Files still there.

As I said, the drive was probably still mounted when you ran the commands. Unmount the flash drive, run dd, unplug it from the system, plug it back in, run mkdosfs, unplug, plug and then mount.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi