Syslog Server on Debian Etch

I’m trying to configure a syslog server on Debian Etch, but so far the only walkthrough I’ve found is for Debian Sarge. The walkthrough says to modify the /etc/init.d/sysklogd file at the line that says: SYSLOGD=”” and change it to SYSLOGD=”-r –m0”

There is no such line in the sysklogd file. I added it, but it doesn’t seem to be logging. Have stopped and restarted the service, rebooted the server and still my log file is at 0 bytes.

In the /etc/syslog.conf, I added the line:

Local7.debug    /mnt/hdb1/syslog/logfilename.log

And it did automatically create the file, but nothing’s going into it from either the Netscreen firewall or the test Windows server. And I don’t see anything listening on port 514 with a netstat.

Anyone know a way to jumpstart it to get it running? Thanks in advance.