Re: Syslog Server on Debian Etch

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:05:39AM -0700, Joel Roberts wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a syslog server on Debian Etch, but so far the
> only walkthrough I've found is for Debian Sarge. The walkthrough says to
> modify the /etc/init.d/sysklogd file at the line that says: SYSLOGD=""
> and change it to SYSLOGD="-r -m0"
>
> There is no such line in the sysklogd file. I added it, but it doesn't
> seem to be logging. Have stopped and restarted the service, rebooted the
> server and still my log file is at 0 bytes.
>
> In the /etc/syslog.conf, I added the line:
>
> Local7.debug    /mnt/hdb1/syslog/logfilename.log
>
> And it did automatically create the file, but nothing's going into it
> from either the Netscreen firewall or the test Windows server. And I
> don't see anything listening on port 514 with a netstat.
>
> Anyone know a way to jumpstart it to get it running? Thanks in advance.

On the sending machine, you put something like:

*.* 	@logger.my.domain

On the receiving hosts, syslogd needs the -r parameter.

This is placed in /etc/default/syslogd

You'll also have to open the appropriate port in any firewall (both on
the reciving and sending boxes).

Then I'd reboot all systems; the logger server first, followed by the
logger clients.

Doug.