Re: Programmers Text Editor

* William Pursell <bill.pursell@gmail.com> [2007 Nov 05 00:59 -0600]:

> I guess I'm suggesting that you seriously question why
> you are rejecting out of hand the two best choices for
> development on Linux.

Of course, I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it has been
strictly a matter of familiarity.  I've tried Emacs on and off over the
past eleven years and I tried Vi(m) which is nearly completely foreign
to me.  I had opted for a nice editor years ago called FTE.  However,
its development has stagnated iver the past several years and it
doesn't integrate very well with GNU tools.  As I work more with GNU
development tools, I've begun to see the need for an editor that works
with them.  So, I have been inspired by this thread to investigate
Emacs again.

I've found that Emacs 22.1 with the GTK UI is the first version I can
use without getting things all messed up while I'm learning proper
Emacs keystrokes.  Over time I'll be able to adapt to Emacs and in the
mean time I won't feel like a total fool as before.  Also, even though
I installed the GUI version of Emacs, the text mode version is still
there for those rare times X is unavailable.

So I can understand where someone would feel less than productive
while learning something new.  I do know that down the road the rewards
will be great and that I probably should have taken the time to learn
Emacs many years ago.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of