Re: fglrx upgrade to 8.42.3

Davide Mancusi wrote:

> Jonathan Kaye ha scritto:
>> Hi Davide,
>> I've installed it and it's BRILLIANT!!!! Three cheers for ATI they've got
>> it right!
>> fgl_glxgears ran around 380fps under 8.39. Now, under 8.42 it's over 500!
>> So I'd say go for it.
>> Cheers,
>> Jonathan
>
> Thank you all for the feedback. I have tried to install the package
> from the ATI website but I have the same problems (Jonathan — how did
> you install it? Did you ask the installer to build a Debian package?).
> Since I think I might have screwed up something with the diversions and
> with symlinks in /usr/lib, I would be very grateful if anyone with a
> working 8.42.3 installation could post the fglrx-related part of
> /var/lib/dpkg/diversions and the output of
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL*
> $ ls -l /emul/ia32/usr/lib/libGL*  (did I mention I'm on amd64?)
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Davide

Hi Davide,
Here's how I did it:
1. Remove all fglrx packages currently installed.
2. as root or using sudo
  a. go to /usr/src/modules and rm -r fglrx
  b. if you an flgrx-kernel .deb file in /usr/src, delete it.
Now to build the new driver.
1. Go to the folder where you have downloaded the
ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run file
2. Make sure the file is executable
3. As root or using sudo
  a. #./ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/lenny
  b. dpkg -i [and at least these 2 .debs] fglrx-driver_8.42.3-1_i386.deb
fglrx-kernel-src_8.42.3-1_i386.deb
 you can install all the debs if you like.
  c. Now you use module assistant to build the modules
     #m-a a-i fglrx
  d. modprobe -v fglrx
  e. make sure that the driver for your card is "fglrx"
You will have to stop the x-server and then restart it. In fact I had to
reboot (aaargggghhh) in order for the module to install correctly. Try
running fglrxinfo and you should see something like this:
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

Then you know your driver is correctly installed. Also you can try running
fgl_glxgears.

I tried Elimar's suggestion (using xorg's "radeon" driver) but I couldn't
get it to work with 3D acceleration.
Hope this helps.
Jonathan