dns? [Was: Re: apt-get failing]

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 12:55:48PM -0000, justsimplequestions wrote:

> You're absolutely right - its definitely a DNS issue. Without even
> retyping the sources.list manually, it looks like I can not not ping
> by name either. I know in my original post I said I could ping
> external sites but it seems I was incorrect. I can not ping any sites
> using name - ip address is fine however (100% sure!). This is further
> proved by the fact that if I add the ip address associated with the
> name of the website in the hosts file, as I have done for the debian
> sites, all works fine. I have no dns server running on and not sure
> what I can do to rectify? Your help is greatly appreciated.

My first suggestion then would be to change the name of the thread since
its no longer an apt issue.  Something like "where's my dns gone?".

Send us your:

/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/resolv.conf (with the internet up if it's variable since if you
			have the resolvconf package installed, the file
			will change).

/etc/network/interfaces

the method you use to connect to the internet: ppp dialup, some type of
high-speed internet modem/router, whatever.

Where do you thing that your box normally gets dns service?

Doug