Re: apt-get failing

On Oct 31, 6:10 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
<and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:05:32AM -0700, justsimplequestions wrote:
> > On Oct 31, 4:00 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
> > <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> ...apt errors

> > > great that you can ping external websites, but can you ping the debian
> > > servers? those are the ones that count here ;)  Also there are some
> > > funky characters and missing characters in your apt output above. Is
> > > that transcription error? or something else?
>
> > Thanks very much for replying. Could not ping the debian servers! I've
> > entered the ip address for the debian sites in the hosts an voila!
> > However, those are funky characters above... they worried me as well
> > and am not sure how and why they appear like that.
>
> so you've got a name resolution problem. I'm betting that your
> sources.list is not properly encoded somehow. try creating a new one
> from scratch and see what happens. no copy and paste! retype it in a
> basic text editor like vim, or in a small operating system like emacs.
>
> The funky characters are the clue I'm looking at there...

>  signature.asc
> 1KDownload

You're absolutely right - its definitely a DNS issue. Without even
retyping the sources.list manually, it looks like I can not not ping
by name either. I know in my original post I said I could ping
external sites but it seems I was incorrect. I can not ping any sites
using name - ip address is fine however (100% sure!). This is further
proved by the fact that if I add the ip address associated with the
name of the website in the hosts file, as I have done for the debian
sites, all works fine. I have no dns server running on and not sure
what I can do to rectify? Your help is greatly appreciated.