Re: intall nvidia driver on debian lenny

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 20:31:09 +0200, Bogdan Marian wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> [...]

[...]

> No error while installing ( except for a warning about the version of the
> gcc (it 4.2 as i'm on lenny) )

I think it can cause problems if you use a different version of gcc to
compile the nvidia module (as compared to what was used to compile the
kernel).

> NVIDIA FX5200
>
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run
>
> mydebian:/home/bogdan# lspci

[...]

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

[...]

> mydebian:/home/bogdan# uname -a
> Linux mydebian 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions
> is
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
> (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

OK, it does load the Xorg driver for nvidia ("nvidia_drv.so" and/or
"nvidia_drv.o" located in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/) but then it
cannot load the nvidia kernel module (nvidia.ko).

First, check if the kernel module exists at all:

find /lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/ -name nvidia.ko

(I would expect that the file exists; the nvidia installer should have
 given you a clear error if it had not been able to create the module.)

If the file exists, try to load it by running as root:

modprobe -v nvidia

(I suspect your problem is caused by the gcc version mismatch and/or the
 paravirt/GPL-only issue. I hope that the modprobe command will give you
 an error message which tells us what exactly is going on.)

          Florian   |