Re: Contacts printing

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:41:21PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Then, as I see it, you have two choices:
>
> 1.	Take the opportunity to learn Python.
>
> 2.	Cat the files together from the command line.
>
> 	Easiest way is to put them all in one directory (with nothing
> 	else) and issue:
>
> $ cat * > contacts.txt

A problem may occur if you run this again after contacts.txt already
exists, since you'd be telling it to cat from and to the same file.
On some systems this might run away and create a very large file, though
on my sid box (with bash 3.1dfsg-8) it seems to work ok, emitting a
warning:

    ken@hayes:/tmp/foo/ $ cat * > contacts.txt
    ken@hayes:/tmp/foo/ $ cat * > contacts.txt
    cat: contacts.txt: input file is output file

Workarounds could be to cat to a file in some other directory, or
specify a filename pattern that only matches the target files.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu