Re: What is a binNMU?

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I like to use wajig as a frontend to apt but it has been removed from
> Sid because it depends on python-apt, which is also missing,  apparently
> because of a binNMU connected with apt. I have no idea what a binNMU is.
> Googling produces a lot of uses of the term but no explanation. I have
> used Debian for a number of years but this is the first time I've heard
> of it.
>
> There was an upgrade of apt yesterday but this did not solve the
> problem. Can someone kindly enlighten me about binNMU or point me to
> some documentation about it?

A brief explanation can be found
in /usr/share/doc/developers-reference/developers-reference.pdf section
5.11.9 - Terminology.

In short, NMU = non maintainer upload.
binNMU = binary only NMU.
source NMU = NMU that involves changes to source (either upstream or debian
specific)

Usually, NMU without any qualifications refers to source NMU.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi