Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 01:21:41PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> Let me first say that my problem has been resolved. Seems to have been
> a combination of not opening the port in my hardware firewall (which I
> should have knwon), and a broken smtp server address. I'm able to
> send mail out now.
>
> > Read /usr/share/doc/exim4-doc-html/html/spec_html/ch14.html
>
> Nice, if I had it ;-(. I installed exim4 under debian Etch, and no
> such exim4-doc-html direcory created. I've got some documentation, but
> not of this scale.

package exim4-doc or some such.  Most packages that have extensive docs
have the docs split off; also they may come in different languages;
also, they may be of a non-free nature (no licence to change them) which
puts them in the non-free repository.

> I have Hazel's book on Exim, and it seems to suggest I could use
> a line like this to specify the remote port (but that's apparently not
> what I want to do):
>
>         port = 587
>
> in perhaps /exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp.

That's for split config which you aren't using so it won't help.  You'd
have to find the same spot in the single config file.

> Perhaps If I had the time I could extract a clearer picture from the
> book.
>
> Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it works.

Doug.