Re: Silly question: Where's eth0?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:23:38PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:48:39PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> >> Now, if you actually had a piece of hardware that _was_ fully supported
> >> by the linux kernel without this mess, then you would get a functioning
> >> eth0 which would then work just fine with the standard Debian networking
> >> tools.  In short, your problem isn't with the networking tools, its with a
> >> non-functional driver.
>
> > Looks like my last post didn't make it here. I had a solid, dependable
> > working MB NIC until a couple of weeks ago, when Sid suddenly started
> > renaming it to eth1 during boot (without explanation) and then saying eth0
> > didn't exist. I didn't notice (not exactly the kind of thing you expect),
> > disabled it and installed a PCI card, then when that didn't work, had to
> > alter my interfaces file to eth1. I think the MB NIC is probably not
> > faulty, but I'm short of time at the moment and it isn't urgent.
> >
> > Not exactly standard Debian behaviour, or at least it wasn't once.
>
> well. I'm silly for jumping into this, but the important word above is
> 'Sid'.
>
> I suspect that's 'nuff said. :)

There's probably some way to get udev to be consistant with device
names.  If you know the module that gets installed, I wonder if putting
it in /etc/modules would cause it to name consistantly.

Also, I vaguely remember that pre-udev, pre-devfs, there was a way to
identify the unit-number based on MAC address when the module was
loaded.  I think it was aliases in /etc/modules.conf.  That file doesn't
exist on my box.  So I guess you'll have to learn about udev to get
persistant naming.

Doug.