Re: Silly question: Where's eth0?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:02:31AM +0200, Matthias Feichtinger wrote:
> I had the same problem.
> The mistake was made while installing.
> It is not possible to change things, e.g. having to configure more
> than one ethernetcard.
> I made a script of my own need and everythings works as I wanted it
> to work. So, first man ifconfig, then man route and if needed, you might
> start your script with init.d.
> At next installing don't mention any NIC at all. The debian way to do
> is a kind of mystery. When there's enough time I will rebuild it.

Are you seriously telling people that you can't add a NIC to Debian
without re-installing?  Get a life.

Now, if you're using some pointy-clicky lindows thingy, perhaps.  Get
rid of it.

udev should find all your hardware.  If you find it doesn't, do the
old-fashioned method.  Find the right module (read the kernel-docs, read
the chips on your NIC, match them up), and insmod it.  If you need
parameters its easier (if you want a bit of a GUI) to install modconf
which will ask for the parameters and put them in the right place.

Your module name would go under /etc/modules and be loaded at each boot.

Once you have an eth* you can then go ahead and put it in
/etc/network/interfaces.

Done.

The Debian way isn't a mistery.  Read the debian-manual, man pages, and
if necessary, ask here.

Doug.